cully

Stranger Than Fiction

Bared to You - Sylvia Day No stretch of the imagination here, I went into reading this book expecting to not fully enjoy myself. Maybe I was looking for something to snark on, but I'll try to be fair.

Things I did like:

Eva does have a shred of independence, has a back story that ties the characters closest to her together rather nicely. Lo and behold, shes well off herself. That, in itself, is rather refreshing to read. Her jealousy and relationship woes with Gideon isn't outlandish given both characters history and the massive insecurities don't particularly feel like 'plot devices'. Over all, Eva's characterization wasn't bad.

Syliva Day has a certain knack for writing, things in this book have defiantly been cleaned up before publishing as there are certain books in this genre that are just pushed out for the smut.

The Other Stuff:

The cliches, oh good Lord, the cliches. In books like these, everyone is beautiful, uniquely beautiful, sexy beautiful. I think there was one person who was hinted at being sub par in the looks department but made up for it in self confidence that just came off as sexy.

The sex was pretty formulaic every time, it was like reading the same sex scene over and over. Gideon runs a finger between Eva's 'cleft', he goes down on her, makes her have a thunderous orgasm before nailing her with his 'Thick and Beautiful' penis. There was a good chunk there, mostly in the last 100 pages where it was one massive sex scene, with a bit of plot sprinkled in. Things also got a little 'purple' in there for a while.

The cliche that killed it for me was the 27 year old multimillionaire. It's in '50 Shades' and it can be traced back to 'Twilight'. At least in Twilight, Edward acknowledges his money as his family's wealth. At age 28, Gideon Cross owns a good chunk of Manhattan. The club Eva attends, the building she works in, the gym she works out in, the very apartment she lives in... Gideon has his fingers in a lot of pies. I'm going to guess that this is one of those things that women are suppose to find appealing. Could stem from 'women just want to be taken care of' and from the looks of it, well, these books are pretty hot selling. If it's your thing, it's your thing, and stepping aside from 'it's just a book/fantasy/fiction', it comes off as unrealistic. Gideon's family is wealthy, but it's specified that he owns all the things stated above. Going beyond that, that cliche is in A LOT of books like this.

Overall: It's not horrible, it just gets bogged down with all the cliches. It still gets more of my approval then 50 Shades of Grey